Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A few firsts.



The past nine days have been filled with so many "firsts" in my life that I probably cannot remember them all. On Sunday, the 22nd of January, for the first time by myself, I boarded a jet plane and set off for the land of...kilts? sterling silver? bagpipes? golf? Gerard Butler? Pick your favorite. I won't bore you with details of my flight, but after a rather uncomfortable nine hours I eventually made it to Edinburgh, Scotland (my first time being in Scotland) and met up with the rest of the Baylor group (you'll meet them all eventually) for dinner later that night in all our jet-lagged glory. Not my first time being jet-lagged, but that doesn't make it any less fun... The next day we took the train to London (first!) and there many adventures (and more firsts) ensued!!



London highlights:
1. Hearing wisdom from the Archbishop of Canterbury at Lambeth Palace, and seeing a fig tree from 1550 planted there. (First to both)
Fig Tree

2. Seeing Parliament Square lit up at night.
3. Celebrating Burns Night at a traditional pub. (First)
4. Marveling at works of art in the National Gallery (I am so happy with the number of free museums in London). (First)
5. Navigating Soho to find a great bakery/coffee shop called Foxcroft & Ginger. (First) Their banana bread is bomb.
Lady and the Tramp

6. Sitting in said coffee shop for two hours and journaling and conversing with friends close by.
7. Meeting Tracey - a woman important to many around the world, as she is so eager to prove. She is bossy and name-drops like crazy, but she has a passion for selling beautiful old things, so I appreciate her. Rachel and I bought beautiful Dore prints from her, of the Divine Comedy and one of mine illustrating Genesis 1:1. (First)
8. Visiting Cambridge! (First!) This included: Punting! Evensong in King's Chapel! Formal hall in Jesus College! Hearing encouragement about academic pursuits from a lovely, well-educated lady! 'Twas a good day indeed.
Bryant, our pro-punter, and Sydney

Bikes were everywhere!!!

9. Running in Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. (First) A beautiful and expedient way to see more of the city. (Note: people in London run with backpacks on. I jogged after a very nice woman and asked her why, and she replied that she often runs home from work with her clothes in the pack. Brilliant! Londoners are so fit. And the cyclists are bold in that traffic that shows little mercy.)
St. Paul's Cathedral and really cool trees.

10. Our entire group racing to catch the train for St. Andrews. (Need I say it?) The slower half made it with only two seconds to spare! This is mostly a highlight because the train we caught brought us to this wonderful town in which I am now. I am smitten already with the natural beauty surrounding me, and the beautiful souls I've met who have welcomed me so kindly.

I have been blessed greatly already, and only anticipate more blessings to come. Stay tuned!



2 comments:

  1. Oh, Lyndsay, what a wonderful description of your experiences! I cannot wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOU TO SCOTLAND AND BACK! : ))) I have three chins I'm smiling so big.

    ReplyDelete