Thursday, March 1, 2012

Walk with me



Everyday, I turn right out of Regs onto Queens Gardens street. Flats line the pavement on my right, and cars line the street on my left. Across the street on the left are several gardens, most of which only have small windows between the vines through which you can peek. At the end of Queens Gardens is South Street, and I turn right just a bit to reach the magical crosswalk that traverses South St. If you step onto the bold white lines, cars automatically stop for you. It's a wonder, really, that cars would give way to pedestrians. I like Scotland for this.



After I cross the crosswalk, I usually turn to the right and then the left onto Church Street, which connects Market St. and South. A beautiful church, called Holy Trinity is on my left, and a kitschy bakery called Fisher & Donaldson is on the right. They wear costume-ish uniforms here, but my experience with their pastries was only mediocre. I think you should make awfully good pastries to be able to wear costumes proudly. I also pass a deli on my left, and a clothing store on the right that displays their clothing on mannequins with plastic cow-heads. Some things are better left misunderstood.

After crossing Market street, I like to walk through a little alley way right beside The Keys pub. I can usually smell that lovely pub smell, and it really makes me want to bake bread. I pass between a few more flats, and then at North Street I arrive. Crossing North Street takes me to the library, or to my Jesus and the Gospels class, or I can keep going and reach The Scores where the building for my Tolkien class is located. From here, I can see the sea, the West Sands, castle ruins, the famous golf course, and pretty much anything to make you breathe a deep breath and smile.

The past couple of weekends have been nothing short of marvelous, with a day trip to Hadrian's Wall and Durham two weekends ago, and a weekend in the Peak District with a couple beautiful ladies during the last! Both trips involved lots of walking, but where there is an increase in walking, there is an increase in food intake, and I am never one to object to that. Especially when it involves scones and Tex Mex. Yes, you read that right. Thank you Mrs. Wilkerson for taking care of your sweet daughter who shares so generously with her friends! Below are a few pictures from the trips, and a video at the end!



Walking the hills toward Hadrian's Wall

The weather in the vicinity of Hadrian's Wall changed quite rapidly!
We hiked through a couple quick snowstorms, only for the skies to open up to a merciful blue again.

Durham skyline

Durham Cathedral
We attended Evensong here, and saw the tomb of the Venerable Bede.

In the Peak District. A path up to the ridge, where you can reach Mam Tor
and descend to Castleton.

Hiking back up from Castleton. Yes, Sydney is wearing a t-shirt. I think God had mercy on the UK this winter for my sake. 


Pride and Prejudice land!! I love it!


The sound you hear is the wind. No joke. We thought we would be blown off the mountain!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo, I love it. I love it all. Missing you. : )

    ReplyDelete